11.29.2008

Daring Bakers November Challenge


CARAMEL CAKE WITH CARAMELIZED BUTTER FROSTING
(yeah, crappy lighting, I know, I know ;))


Hosting this months challenge are Dolores
(http://culinarycuriosity.blogspot.com/),
together with Alex (Brownie of the Blondie and Brownie duo: http://blondieandbrownie.blogspot.com/),
Jenny of Foray into Food (http://forayintofood.blogspot.com/)
and Natalie of Gluten-a-Go-Go (http://glutenagogo.blogspot.com/).

The recipe can be found at the website of Shuna Fish Lydon (http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/2006 … he-recipe/).

As this was my first challenge with the Daring Bakers I was very excited if I could master it. The anxiety was further built up by the "dangers" of making caramel in your own kitchen.
(Basically what you do is to boil some sugar, which will reach about 200°C in the process, then you add some water to stop the caramelization. The water will instantly evaporate and send the hot sugar flying all over the place including your hands.) Fortunately, some very helpfull tips by David Lebovitz can be found at his website (e.g. it helps a lot to cover the casserole with a mesh strainer).

Here is a picture of the finished caramel syrup. (in the top left a dirty dish from the pasta bolognese I had for lunch is basking in the glory (and the flashlight) of the syrup)




















The preparation of the dough went quite smoothly. I halved the recipe and quartered the butter frosting. The cake baked for 45 min in total. It had a lovely smell of caramel and tasted very nice especially while still being warm. The frosting was very, very,very sweet and to my taste did a bit of a disservice to the cake. At the next morning the cake had become a bit dense and heavy.




















I`ve still got some of the caramel syrup in the fridge and I will try to use it for Christmas cookies.
Did someone just say peanut-caramel biscotti?

In summary, it was a very nice and fun experience to join the Daring Bakers. Thanks to this months host and her co-hosts. I`m looking forward to the next challenge. ;)

On an unrelated note: I came across a thoughtful blog post by Jeanne of Cook Sister! last week. Maybe you want to give it a read.

7 comments:

madcapcupcake said...

Congrats on your first challenge!! - your cake looks delicious...and your future plans for the remaining caramel syrup sound equally delish - nice job :)

BC said...

Peanut caramel biscotti?!

Ohhh, that sounds good.

Raquel said...

looks delicious! and please let us know if you make those biscotti. i would be interested to try them, too!

Amy said...

Andreas - welcome to the Daring Bakers! I think my photos are yucky too, but they get better with each month. Great job on this your first challenge!

Leslie said...

Welcome to the Daring Bakers!
You did wonderful on your first challange!

lachandra said...

Hi! Good job!

I'm Morgana from Spain (pyramid caramel cakes, yeah) Welcome to the Daring Bakers group. You must know there are more DBrs living in Europe. In Spain we are five or so and I think you can find Some Daring Bakers in Portugal and in England too. (Sorry for my english).

Dagmar - A Cat in the Kitchen said...

Welcome to the Daring Bakers!