2.11.2009

Lemon poppyseed cake


I took a small break from blogging in January, partly due to standard, unblogworthy food. Partly due to laziness, which I rationalised as "building up a backlog of posts for hard times". ;) But as there are some intriguing blog events looming in the near future and to shorten the time till the next DB Challenge, I will post this little cake here, which you can easily make on a lazy Sunday afternoon. (That is, if you like poppyseeds. I only recently learned, that there are people, who actually don't. Quite a surprise there.)


Lemon poppyseed cake

Source: Das Handbuch der Gew├╝rze, which is the German edition of The Spice Ingredients Cookbook


Ingredients:

50g blue poppyseeds
125g soft butter
200g confectioners sugar
2 eggs, scrambled
lemon zest
200g all-purpose flour
1 Tblsp backing powder

Icing:
juice of 1 lemon
125g sugar
zest for garnishing

Instructions:

1) Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a cake pan (about 25 x 20 cm/ 10 X 8 inch) and line with parchment paper. Grind the poppyseeds in a clean coffee grinder, or crush with a rolling pin between two sheets of cling film.

2) Whisk butter and confectioners sugar until foamy. Add the eggs and zest. Alternatingly add flour and milk. Fold in the poppyseeds.

3) Distribute the dough evenly in the cake pan. Bake for 45 min until golden brown.

4) While the cake is in the oven, mix lemon juice and sugar. When baking is finished, leave the cake in the cake pan and drizzle evenly with the syrup. Let cool and cut into squares or diamond shapes.

I substituted oranges for the lemons, because I had some at hand. And I halved the sugar for the icing. The cake is yummy and moist. It will keep for a couple of days.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Hello, Andreas...I keep meaning to stop by and thank you for your visits and nice comments! And this was perfect timing, because I love lemon poppyseed cake. But I have to say you brightened my day (unintentionally, perhaps) in another way. Over here we think of "scrambled" eggs as those curdy things you eat for breakfast...so I was FASCINATED by how they would work in a cake, till I figured out what you meant! :) Please come by again soon...so will I.
Audrey

MeetaK said...

andreas - for some reason i do not bake often with poppy seeds but i love the combination with lemon here.