3.04.2009

Chili-Walnut Brownies

Chili-Walnut Brownies

Before spring catches on in earnest, (and my kitchen will switch to all-out ice cream mode :) ), I wanted to give these kinda wintry Chili-Walnut- Brownies a try. I slightly overbaked them, but thebrownies were still a bit moist with full chocolaty taste and just a hint of chili. Overall a recipe to come back to next winter. Both the amount of sugar and chili are meant more as guidelines than precise directions. Tweak them with your and your guests palate in mind.

Chili-Walnut-Brownies

Ingredients

230 g semi-sweet couverture *
100 g walnuts
3 eggs, medium sized
220-270 g sugar **
salt
3/4-2 tsp dried chili flakes***
180 ml oil ****
seeds from one vanilla pod
90 g flour
30 g cocoa powder
100 rasped chocolate
1 Tblsp confectionars sugar

Source: Barbaras Spielwiese
Original Source: Living at Home 11/2004 (German edition)

* I used 300g couverture, but didn't add the rasped chocolate.

** 270 g is the amount in the original recipe. Barbara has lowered this value to 220 g, which were still to sweet for her taste. I used 180 g of sugar. This will let the chocolate taste stand out. I think I wouldn't change this value, should I make these again.

*** I used one (generous) tsp of ground chipotle chilis from Frank&Schuster. I found the chili taste a bit faint. Next time I would use two tsp or a bit more.

**** I used sunflower oil.

Instructions

Chop couverture and melt in a water bath. Chop walnuts. Whisk eggs, sugar and salt with a hand mixer until very smooth. Grind chili flakes. Whisk chili, vanilla seeds and oil into the mixture. Continue mixing. Subsequently add couverture, flour and cocoa. Fold in walnuts and rasped chocolate.

Transfer dough to a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180°C. Bake for about 30 min in the lower half of the oven. Cake should be still moist on the inside. Let cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectionars sugar. Cut into rectangles.

1 comment:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Chili and chocolate: the match made in heaven! This is most interesting to try.
I'll have to wait for winter though as I've already switched to all-out ice cream mode.
80° (26.7C) here. I melt over 70. Whimp.