4.16.2009

Hokkaido Milky Loaf

Hokkaido Milky Loaf

Before I started this blog for joining the Daring Bakers in November 2008, I had been reading food blogs for about a year and a half. During that time I bookmarked this recipe, which has been all the rage back in the summer of 2007. As Zorra (1x umrühren bitte), who is hosting this weeks YeastSpotting, has also made this loaf, I thought it would be a good opportunity to give this recipe a try. The finished bread was slightly sweet and a bit dense in some spots. (next time I will increase the proofing time) Overall this bread is best enjoyed with jam or Nutella for breakfast.


Hokkaido Milky Loaf

Source: Angie's Recipes

Ingredients:
540 g bread flour
60 g cake flour
10 g dry active yeast
30 g milk powder
80 g sugar
9 g salt
1 egg
250 g fresh milk
150 g whipping cream (heavy cream)

Method:
Mix all the ingredients in the bowl of an electric stand-mixer. Remember to separate the yeast from salt and sugar to avoid dehydration. Knead until gluten is fully developed and the dough is elastic, smooth, non-sticky and leaves from sides of mixing bowl. Cover with a damp towel and allow the dough to ferment until double in size, about 60 minutes.*
Take out the dough and press out the gas produced during the proof. Divide into 4 portions. Round up and let rest for about 20 minutes. Roll each dough out and roll up and place in a 13x33x12cm loaf pan. After shaping, let the dough rise up to 2/3 of the pan.** Brush with egg wash or milk. Bake in a preheated 170C/340F oven for about 40 minutes.***

* My dough was a bit slow and needed about 90 min.
** About one hour. Better make that 90 min.
*** Even though the pan gave a hollow sound when knocked from underneath, the center of the loaf was a bit undercooked. Next time I will try 50 min baking time.

6 comments:

zorra said...

Oh ja, das Brot muss ich auch wieder mal backen.

Was das langsame Aufgehen betrifft, das könnte auch an der Hefe liegen, vielleicht war sie nicht so aktiv. Ist es kalt in deiner Küche? Falls ja, kannst du etwas nachhelfen indem du den Teig in den auf 28 C aufgeheizten Ofen gibst. Ich mach das im Winter immer so.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

We owe so much wonder to the DBs.
I haven't tried this one yet. I really would love to bake one day a week and just give it away for fun. I might make it through half the list of breads I want to make that way.

culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess said...

Oh that sounds fabulous. I often make a bread known as milk roll here but it's completely different to this version, I must try this too.

Here's mine out of interest:
http://culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/yeastspotting/

Elle said...

What a nice, rich and delicious looking loaf! I'll have mine with some raspberry jam.

Susan said...

This is one I have been wanting to bake too, looks great!

Andreas said...

@zorra: An dem Tag war es schon leicht sommerlich warm in der Küche. Vielleicht war der Hefe noch etwas winterlich ums Herz. :)

@MyKitchenInHalfCups: I know this problem of wanting to bake, while not having finished the last loaf. And if I look at the (barely a handful) of bread books I bought in the last six months, the number of recipes I want to try from them, the time needed for each and the number of books I will aquire at this rate during the rest of my life..... I actually don't want to do the math. ;)

@culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess:
Your milk roll looks very tasty.