4.04.2009

Rüblikuchen / Carrot Cake

Rüblikuchen / Carrot Cake

I have been waiting for some rhubarb to arrive on the green market but unfortunately spring has been a bit slow this year. So I decided to make a carrot cake instead. The original recipe calls for spreading the dough on a sheet pan but I made a half batch in a 7 inch Spring form which worked alright even though the cake sank a little in the center. The recipe is really simple to make , the cake is nicely dense and moist and has a bit of crunch from the chopped almonds.Should you want to behave like a celebrity chef in your kitchen and add the lemon juice by crushing the halved lemon in your bare hands, please make sure to remove all the seeds beforehand. Otherwise you might spend a quarter of an hour sifting through the ground carrots with a cake fork to retrieve the little buggers. Just saying.

Rüblikuchen / Carrot Cake

Source: lecker No.4/2009

Ingredients:

- 450g carrots
- juice of 1 lemon
- 250g soft butter
- 300g sugar
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar
- dash of salt
- 8 eggs [yes, eight]
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 1 sachet baking powder
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g chopped almonds

Method:

- Cover half-sheet pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 175°C/ gas mark 2. Grind carrots and sprinkle with lemon juice.

- Whisk butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and salt with a mixer for 3-5 min until white. Add the eggs one at a time.

- Fold in flour and baking powder, then fold in carrots and almonds. Spread evenly on sheet pan. Bake for 25-30 min. Let cool.

5 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh Andreas you didn't, with the lemon seeds . . . I just can't believe it when I do that stuff.
Cake looks good, always have a soft spot in my heart (and tummy) for carrot cake.

creampuff said...

Oh, very nicely done! I love the colour on it. Hope you find some rhubarb soon!

Elle said...

I've done that trick with the lemons...and the seeds have gotten into the dish...so good advice. This looks like my kind of carrot cake...not a speck of cream cheese icing in sight. Beautiful!

glamah16 said...

I like the idea of almonds in a carrot cake.

jen said...

I too wait for the elusive rhubarb - but since we got a lot of snow today...I'll wait even longer. sigh. This carrot cake looks very spring-like though and sounds delicious! Love the lemon seed reference too, that and cracking eggs with one hand have to be my 2 favourite tricks. Not always with good results though...