5.25.2009

(Not-Fava) Beans with Lemon and Parsley

Beans with Lemon and Parsley

I had seen a recipe for Fava Beans and Halibut on Ivonne's blog Cream Puffs in Venice and as I had neither heard about nor eaten those, I wanted to give the beans a try. Ivonne mentioned that fava beans are also called broad beans which, at least in German, is also a synonym for runner beans. As you can imagine, if you hit the green market using two interchangeable expressions for two (at least in your wishful thinking) distinct products, hilarity ensues. So I settled for normal runner beans and prepared them with some lemon and parsley. This recipe gives the classic autumn/winter bean stew a new spin and turns it into a fruity summer-like dish. Because I omitted the lime, the acidity of the lemon became quite dominant, so next time I will make sure to get some lime or just use half a lemon and some water instead (say 2 Tbsp) to balance the taste.

Here's a picture of my raw runner/broad beans, just to show the (comparatively) flat pods and white beans.


There is also an article on how to peel fava beans at The Kitchn, in case you are lucky enough to hit on the real deal.

Shredded Green Beans with Lemon Lime Zest and Snipped Chives

Source: Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson

Ingredients:

3/4 pound green and/or yellow beans, tops and tails trimmed
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or clarified butter
2 Tbsp water
zest of 1 large lemon
zest of 1 lime *
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives **
Sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

* I omitted the lime, as I didn't have any.
** Used some parsley instead, because as I have learned before, parsley and lemon is a winning team.

Serves 4.

Method:

Slice the beans on a diagonal into roughly 1/8-inch pieces. Heat the olive in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beans and stir until coated with oil, then add the water. Cover and cook 2 or 3 minutes, until the beans are brightly coloured and tender * ; give the pan a good shake midway through to ensure even cooking. Remove from the heat and stir in the zests and half the chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve garnished with the remaining chives.

* Mine took a bit longer, maybe 8 minutes.

2 comments:

creampuff said...

Oh, very nice Andreas!!! Do you know that I've never tried runner beans ... you got me! This is exactly the kind of simple dish that I love.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I'm with Ivonne. A simple idea that delivers! Excellent.