7.13.2009

Tomato Gugelhupf

Tomato Gugelhupf

When I first read the recipe for this savory bread it raised two red flags. First the recipe calls for flour without any further specifications, second the recipe asks you to form a roll of dough and cut off individual slices. In my (admittedly limited) experience, that's something you do when making cookies. Yeast dough does not lend itself to this procedure. Overall you get the impression that this recipe was written by someone who is used to reading recipes, but maybe not so used to execute those in the kitchen. But the pictures of the knobbly Gugelhupf in the magazine convinced me to try a half batch in my 7-inch bundt pan.

The whole thing.

Straight from the oven the cake [Where I come from, Gugelhupf refers to a sweet cake (with raisins more often than not) baked in an bundt pan, which you have for coffee on Sunday afternoon when visiting your grandparents. I find it difficult to refer to it as a bread.] has a wonderful smell of baked/caramelized spring onions. Texture-wise the Gugelhupf ends up somewhere midway between bread and cake. It can be eaten by itself but some sort of spread or chutney would be an improvement. I was a bit worried that the tomatoes would make the cake soggy (because to properly scale-down the cake you would have to use actual-cherry-size tomatoes, which were not to be found at the green market), but they shriveled up and had a nicely concentrated flavour. I didn't regret having omitted the pepper on the tomatoes. And of course the most blatantly obvious improvement would be to add some diced cheese into the dough. ;)

Just a quick shot before baking.

I'm sending this to Susan's YeastSpotting which is hosted this week by Nick from imafoodblog. Cheers Nick!


Tomato Gugelhupf

Source: Lust auf Genuss 7/2009

Ingredients:

(for a 23 cm / 9 inch bundt pan)

500 g flour *
100 ml (100 g) lukewarm water
1 tsp salt
1/2 cube fresh yeast (20 g)
1 Tbsp sugar
50 g pine nuts **
1 bunch parsley
4 spring onions
150 g soft butter (plus some more for the pan)
3 eggs
25 cherry tomatoes
pepper **

* Used type 550 bread flour.
** Omitted.

Method:

In a bowl, mix flour and salt. Form a little hole in the center and add yeast, sugar and water. Mix slightly and dust center with flour. Cover with a clean cloth and set aside for 10 minutes.

Roast pine nuts without any oil until fragrant. Wash and chop parsley. Wash and dice spring onions. Preheat oven to 170 °C.* Add butter and eggs to the dough. Knead until no longer sticky. Fold in pine nuts, parsley and spring onions. Cover and let rise in a warm spot for 45 minutes or until doubled in volume. Butter the bundt pan.

Wash and dry the tomatoes. Roll the dough into a log shape. Cut off 25 slices of dough.** Press down each slice, put one tomato on each slice, add some pepper. *** Wrap each tomato into the slice of dough, forming little balls. Put balls into pan. Let rise for about 30 minutes, until pan is filled to 2/3 of it's volume. Bake on bottom rail of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Let cake rest for 10 minutes, then flip over onto a wire rack.

* This is way to early. Wait till the dough is rising in the bundt pan.
** That's so not working. ;) Just plop the dough on your work surface and divide it into single portions with a dough scraper.
*** Didn't use the pepper, because sticky dough on hands + using pepper mill = D'oh! Just grind some pepper onto a saucer to dip the tomatoes in, if you want to use it.

10 comments:

Elle said...

No pine nuts either? Well, it still looks wonderful. Love the photo where the tomato is peeking out! Maybe some Parmesan cheese would add some kick? I like the idea of a savory Gugelhupf although I'v only every made sweet ones.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You are so bad ... you want to add cheese to this ... my heart be still ... This is glorious! It sure wins my heart.
OK here's how I'm going to add cheese to this:
1. Use a micro-plane to get fluffy fine parmesan
2. Melt a little butter in some olive oil
3. After the tomatoes are wrapped in the dough balls
4. Lightly coat with the butter/olive oil
and
5. Roll in the parmesan ...
What'd you think?

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I think with the dough balls in cheese you could call it
Monkey Bread Gugelhupf!

Andreas said...

@Elle: Actually I had some pine nuts, but as I was a bit sceptical about the recipe I didn't want to use them with uncertain results. When I wrote diced cheese I was thinking about feta (sheep cheese), but as you and Tanna have subconsciously agreed on Parmesan I'm fine with that too.:)

@Tanna: I don't think you need the butter/olive oil as an adhesive for the Parmesan(if that's your intention for using it), as the dough will be a little sticky.
*googles Monkey Bread*
Hehe, I think you could. ;)

Sara said...

Cheers to you, and great looking bread.

I love it when recipes are overly cryptic and force me to make my best "guess" at what to do. Some times, I'm spot on, others, we end up eating pizza for dinner.

Cheers @ You!

--Nick/imafoodblog.com

mimicooks said...

The gugelhupf is so pretty!

pragmaticattic said...

I agree about the monkey bread comparison. I actually have seen a few recipes for monkey bread that are savory with lots of garlic and cheese. But the tomato thing is new. I like it. It has possibilities.

great job!

Miriam said...

Your savoury Gugelhopf did catch my eye at Yestspotting. I've made the regular sweet thing some times (my recipe included the slicing!) and I loved it. I would give yours a try...

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh cool, no oil needed then!

Aparna said...

I really like this savoury gugelhupf of yours. I should definitely try it out.
I have made the sweet version and liked that too.