8.02.2009

Chickpea Burger...kinda

Chickpea Stir-Fry

I've spent last week floating in a sensory deprivation tank in a place without internet or email access. (This may sound like I've been either oystrich farming in inner mongolia or taking part in a super-secret Manhattan Project two-dot-zero but let me assure you it was neither. ;) Come to think of it, both options would have been much more fun than my actual work. ) As a consequence I didn't get around to cook anything blog-worthy and my only backup post of a near failure will have to make do for today.

When I tried to make chickpea puree as described in the recipe the mashed up chickpeas clogged the immersion blender and formed a layer above the intact chickpeas, making it very difficult to mix everything evenly. Transfering the whole lot into a shallower bowl made mixing a bit easier but resulted in little bits of chickpea flying everywhere. At this point I got a little impatient and proceeded with about 50% intact chickpeas. The resulting "dough" seemed a little dry but with a little luck it might hold together when flipping the burgers over. Which it didn't. Instead of burgers, lunch consisted of tasty but a little dry chickpea stir-fry.

Re-reading the recipe to figure out where I went wrong, I realized that I forgot to include the bread crumbs which would have made everything even more dry. Next time I will add another egg and maybe 1-3 Tbsp milk for extra moisture.



Chickpea Burger

Source: essen&trinken Für jeden Tag Juli 2009

Ingredients:

1 small onion
1 clove garlic
3 stems parsley
1 can chickpeas; 265 g nett weight
1 egg
5 Tbsp bread crumbs
salt
pepper
cummin
1-2 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp clarified butter

Method:

Finely dice garlic and onion. Mince parsley. Drain chickpeas.
In a vessel with tall sides puree the chickpeas with an insertion mixer.*
Fold in garlic onion, parsley, egg and bread crumbs. Add salt, pepper and cummin to taste.

Using your wet hands form four burgers.

Melt the clarified butter in a non-stick pan. Fry the burgers about 3 minutes on each side on medium heat until golden brown.

* Do this in small batches. Or better yet in a stand mixer.

4 comments:

MeetaK said...

this sounds great. i really love chickpeas and have to try this!

Elle said...

Glad you are back from Mars! Your variations sound like they would make this a tasty dish.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You're way ahead of me ... I've had internet and a 16 month old grandbaby and not one post for two weeks! Ooops ... next week then.
I'm always good with chickpeas - burger or stir fry will be just wonderful

mimicooks said...

Welcome back Andreas!

This sounds so tasty. Sorry it didn't work out as burgers.

I do a black bean burger. I mash the beans with a potato masher, adding in a tablespoon of the liquid from the canned beans at a time until I have a thick smooth paste, then I add the rest of the ingredients. This is something I figured out on my own, the recipe did not specify this and my first try was drier than I would have liked. Doing it this way results in a burger that is firm on the outside but moist on the inside. Yum!