8.30.2009

Daring Baker (very late) August Challenge

Dobos Torte

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caff├ęs of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

I didn't learn from my mistakes in the June Challenge and was again bowled over by the posting date. Maybe as a food blogger, one has to get used to the fact that the summer months are rather short in terms of getting things posted. As I started this blog late in autumn, I will plead newbie bonus one last time. ;)

The Dobos Torte was pretty easy to make (but impossible to make look pretty). I made a third of the dough and spread it on parchment paper. Then used a water glass to cut out six layers. With a quarter of the buttercream I managed to kludge-up a mini torte. (sorry for not making the caramel) Tastewise I found the Dobos to be a bit so-so. Chocolat, a bit of sweet vanilla from the sponges and that's about it. Okay, yes. Wow, no.



Yes, I need to work on my cake decoration skills. :)

Thank You Angela and Lorraine for hosting this month's Challenge. Enjoy the spectacular results of my fellow Daring Bakers at the Daring Bakers Blogroll.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I posted today, so you weren't the only one to post late! Great job.

ice tea: sugar high said...

Your torte looks lovely! better late than never is what I always say =)

Audax said...

Great that you could finish it. I think that it looks fine and your sponge layers are very even. And it seems that the buttercream worked out just fine. Well at least you are learning a lot of new skills in the Daring Bakers'. Yes it can be a bother to make the final torta look nice. Sorry to hear that it was only OK at the end. Cheers from Audax in Australia

Aparna said...

Maybe late but you did it. And the layers are perfect.
True, this one wasn't a "wow", though everyone here who ate it enjoyed it.

Annarasa said...

Well done!!
I made a mini torte too:)

Apu