11.22.2009

Apple Turnover

Apple Turnover

I had some computer issues this week during which all my food pictures were lost. Fortunately, I can use the data on blogger as a back-up. Maybe there is something positive to be learned about cloud-based computing. :)
Instead of the eggs and potatoes in mustard sauce, which will have to wait until I make them again and take a new picture, here's just a quick method for apple turnovers I threw together this afternoon. Homemade puff pastry really has a much more rich and buttery taste than store-bought. Those turnovers could definitely use some egg wash, but I didn't want to scramble one large, free-range egg just for about two teaspoons of egg wash.

Apple Turnover

Ingredients & Method:

Source: Puff Pastry recipe by Michel Richard from the cookbook Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan

Dice 2 medium apples (I used Fuji, which were quite sweet. No need to add sugar.) Toss with cinnamon and set aside. Using 1/3 of the puff pastry from the Daring Baker September Challenge, roll the dough into a rectangular shape and cut horizontally. (I'm being vague here on purpose. ;) ) Put half the apples on one side of each piece of dough and flip over the top half.
If you are like me and have been watching to many Gary Rhodes re-runs on late night television use a fork to create a pattern around the seam. Bake at about 180°C until nicely brown.

No comments: