1.18.2010

Coconut Lentils

Coconut Lentils

The next item on the use-or-ditch list where a pack of lentils which found their way into a hearty stew. Next time I would grate the ginger on a microplane for a more even distribution and to avoid munching on tough ginger cubes.

I didn't add any salt because on tasting the ginger and curry seemed to give the dish enough of a kick, but when you chew a whole mouthful there will be a kinda starchy-bland aftertaste from the lentils, so don't skip that good old NaCl.

Coconut Lentils

Source: Kochen fast ohne Rezept (Almost recipe-free cooking) by Hans Gerlach

Ingredients:

250 g black lentils *
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
4 cm ginger
200 ml coconut milk
2 tomatoes
1 to 3 chilis (or more to taste)
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 Tbsp Garam Masala (or a curry mixture of your choice)
salt
1 bunch coriander **

Method:

Soak the lentils overnight, drain and slowly bring to the boil in 1 liter of water or stock. Cook on a medium heat for 60 minutes until tender, adding more warm or hot water if necessary. *

Dice the tomatoes, finely slice the chilis. Peel and mince onion, garlic and ginger. Fry in 40 ml of coconut milk. If the liquid from the milk has evaporated, the spices will start to fry with a sizzling noise. Add the chilis, coriander seed and Garam Masala, salt and fry for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and lentils. Simmer for 20 minutes until the lentils start to fall apart, stir frequently. Add the rest of the coconut milk, salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve.
Yields 6-8 portions as a side dish.

* The recipe calls for using black lentils but I used green ones, because that was wgat I had. I checked at the super market and all the available black lentils needed only 30 minutes of cooking without soaking them first, so just go by the instructions on the package.

** Omitted, because I couldn't get any.

4 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh Andreas I wish I could have brought the Naan and shared a bowl of this with you! Looks excellent.
Very interesting about the salt. I try to limit it but there is a healthy amount we need and we need to use it smartly.

Elle said...

This would go so well with the Bread Baking Babes naan this month. Looks wonderful! Like the use of coconut flavor with the chilis.

Joanne said...

I love coconut-flavored anything so I know I would adore this. Lentils are a such a healthy and easy thing to cook. What an excellent recipe!

mimicooks said...

Those lentils look great!

Please visit my blog when you have a chance, there is an award waiting for you.