1.24.2010

Naan

Naan

To start of the new decade Lynn of Cookie baker lynn asked the Babes to make some naan to conjure up some images of more balmy weather. And with the recent cold spell, this idea came naan to soon.

I made the plain version of the naan, mainly because I'm not overly fond of raisins. Preparing the naan in a pan meant that, as with pancakes, the first one was "for the pan" (read "for the bin"). But the first one soaked up most of the oil, and the following ones baked very well in the almost dry cast-iron pan. (I think this approach was mentioned in the comments somewhere)
The naan was good, but it really is a "canvas bread". I ate mine for dinner with some braised cauliflower (recipe coming up next).

I'm sending this to Susan's YeastSpotting.

Plain Naan
- makes 3 naan
Source: from Paul Hollywood's 100 Great Breads

Ingredients:

scant 4 cups white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 oz / 15 g. package compressed fresh yeast
water to mix
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
olive oil for frying

Method:

- Line a baking sheet. Put the flour, salt and yeast into a bowl and add enough water to make a soft, but not sloppy dough. Add the seeds, then divide the dough into three pieces and put on the baking sheet. Let rest for 1 hour.

- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and, using a rolling pin, flatten each piece into a circle, 10 inches / 25.5 cm in diameter, and let rest for 5 minutes.

- Heat a skillet to a medium heat and add a splash of olive oil. Shallow-fry each naan until browned on both sides, then set aside to cool slightly before serving.

5 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh, I do like that ... canvas bread!
I'm not at all fond of raisins either but yellow raisins in this were really a delight.
Looks like the perfect Naan.
Look forward to the braised cauliflower.

Baking Soda said...

Really? The bin? My first pancake is always...for me! I love that crispy buttery flavour of the first pancake but I know what you mean by the first naan. Great canvas!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Great job! Thanks for baking with us.

Joanne said...

I adore naan. Definitely one of my favorite breads. I bet it would be great if you flavored teh dough with some cardamom or roasted garlic or something.

It seems like cooking it is kind of like cooking pancakes - the first batch is always the worst! But it kind of prepares the pan for the next few batches.

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

I agree with you about the first bread.. that one is always mine.
And "canvas bread" brilliant! It does indeed invite company.
Great naan, thanks so much for baking with us this month!