2.07.2010

Tuna Pasta

Tuna Pasta

While clearing out some cupboards, I found two cans of tuna which needed to be used up. (Probably I bought those about two years ago, even before I moved to the flat where I currently live. Can't remember for what reason. :) ) So, after two years without any tuna in my life, I just wanted to use them up gracefully without any need for immediate restocking. But then I found this recipe where the tuna is simmered in a tomato sugo and then paired up with some fresh basil into a really flavourful combination.
If it were just for the recipe I would buy some more tuna tomorrow, but I think I need to do some reading up about sustainable fishery, MSC etc. first.


Tuna Pasta

Source: Cook with Jamie by Jamie Oliver

Ingredients:

olive oil
1 red onion
1-2 fresh red chilis, deseeded and minced
1 leveled tsp ground cinnamon
1 bunch basil, pluck the leaves, mince the stems
2 cans (400 g each) good quality tomatoes
600 g tuna in oil, drained and pulled
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
500g rigatoni or penne pasta
zest and juice of 1-2 lemon(s)
a small handful freshly grated parmesan

Method:

In a pan with a heavy bottom heat some olive oil and gently fry the onion, chili, cinnamon and basil stalks on medium-low heat. When the onion turns soft after about 5 minutes, increase the temperature and add the tomatoes and the tuna. Season with salt and mash the tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Bring to the boil and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Roughly chop up the basil leaves. Drain the pasta and reserve some of the cooking water. Add pasta, basil leaves, a bit of olive oil, lemon zest and juice and the parmesan to the sauce and mix well. If necessary add some cooking water to loosen up the pasta.

2 comments:

Elle said...

Looks like the kind of recipe where you could easily sub the proper fish that aren't endangered. Looks delish!

Joanne said...

This pasta dish is certainly a classic one. I love that it has cinnamon in it.