2.10.2010

Washoku Warriors - Comfort Food

Miso Ramen

During the cold time of the year everyone needs a little comfort and why not getting it from some lovely food. The Washoku Warriors could choose between (or decide to make both of) a miso-enriched noodle soup and beef burgers.

Originally, I had intended to make the burgers with some sandwich bread which Rachael had posted about, but due to some sudden re-scheduling of weekend activities, I went for the noodle soup instead.

To extend the comfort in comfort food to the preparation, I substituted two smallish winter leeks for the scallions, used mie noodles instead of ramen (because I had, or rather didn't) and some dried shitake mushrooms for the fresh ones. For the dried sardines, which I was totally unable to find (same goes for katsuo bushi), I used some bonito-flavoured seasoning.

The finished soup was light but still hearty in taste. Comfort was achieved. :)


Bonito Seasoning and
Miso
(according to the first two red characters in the lower left)

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Soup is definitely more comforting than burgers. At least to me. Looks delicious!

mimicooks said...

Wow, I haven't been over here in a little while. Nice looking food. I especially love the photo of the ramen, so pretty!!

Amber said...

Great idea to sub the leeks, I need to try the ramen now, I made the burgers this time, they were delicious too!