3.07.2010

Carrots with Hijiki

Carrots with Hijiki

Today, just a quick and easy dish. The taste is dominated by the ginger, while the carrots and the hijiki blend together in a earthy-hearty kinda way. It's difficult to desribe, best to try it out yourself.

Carrots with Hijiki

Source: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison

Ingredients:

2 cups dried hijiki (or arame)
soy sauce or tamari to taste
2 Tbsp dark sesame oil
2 Tbsp slivered ginger *
3 carrots, julienned
salt
toasted sesame seeds

* I ground the ginger on a Microplane.

Method:

Cover the hijiki with water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain, then put in an saucepan with fresh water to cover and 2 Tbsp soy sauce. Bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes, then drain again. If using arame, soak for 3 minutes, then drain without parboiling.

Heat the oil in a wide skillet over high heat. Add the ginger and carrots and stir-fry until the carrots begin to colour around the edges, about 2 minutes. Add the seaweed and cook 5 minutes more, tossing frequently. Add 1 Tbsp soy sauce and let it cook off. Taste and season with salt and/or soy sauce. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.

6 comments:

mimicooks said...

I need to eat more hijiki. A local restaurant adds it to their house salad and it's so good!

Joanne said...

These are definitely the prettiest presentation of carrots I've seen in a while! And possibly one of the most inventive ways to prepare them. I'm bookmarking this to use some of the five hundred carrots I have in my fridge!

Velva said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

What a lovely way to serve carrots. I'll have to find a source for the hijiki, but I'd love to make these.

Jeanne said...

I've never had hijiki. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it at the store. This dish looks great!

Debinhawaii said...

I am trying to get more seaweed and sea vegetables in my diet and bought some dried hijiki for a salad I posted awhile back. This dish looks delicious--love the pairing with the carrots!