3.10.2010

Spelt Bread

Spelt Bread

The use of a poolish makes this an airy bread, but it still has enough substance to fill you up. I use it for making lunch sandwiches to take to the office. When browsing my bread books before choosing this recipe, I noticed that I'm running low on recipes which don't require a sourdough. Easy to see where this will lead to, isn't it. ;)

I'm sending this to Susan's YeastSpotting.

Spelt Bread

Source: Crust by Richard Bertinet

Ingredients Poolish:

500 g spelt flour
500 g water
10 g fresh yeast

Method Poolish:

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, cover with a towel or cling film, and leave in a warm place for 3-5 hours or overnight in the fridge. *

* Did the latter.

Ingredients Spelt Bread:

all of the poolish
500 g spelt flour
10 g fresh yeast
20 g salt
150 g water
100 g whole spelt grains, soaked overnight in warm water; optional *
spelt flour for dusting

* Omitted.

Method Spelt Bread:

Preheat the oven to 250°C. If not using loaf tins, put two baking stones or sheet pans into the oven. Either slightly butter two loaf tins suitable for 800 g each, or use two rising molds lined with bread towels. If not using loaf tins, keep a pizza paddle ready.

Mix the flour, yeast, salt and water (and spelt grains, if using) into the poolish. Transfer dough onto (unfloured) work surface and knead until smooth.

Slightly dust the work surface with flour and form the dough into a ball. Transfer the ball into a (slightly floured) bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hour. Transfer the dough onto the slightly floured work surface and divide into two balls. * Cover with a towel and let rise for 15 minutes.

* I didn't divide the dough, but baked the whole batch in a 35 cm loaf tin.

Either form the two balls into loafs and transfer into the loaf tins, or put the two balls into the rising molds. Cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hour. Transfer the loafs to the paddle.

Sprinkle the inside of the oven with water, put in the breads and quickly close the oven. After 2 minutes reduce temperature to 220°C and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the loaves sound hollow when tapped underneath. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

6 comments:

Mary said...

I've not yet done any experimentation with spelt flour. I think it's time to expand my horizons. Your bread looks wonderful and intrigues me.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Ooh, that looks lovely. I've been meaning to make spelt bread for quite a while now. I've got the flour, but not the grains.

If you were closer I'd be more than happy to share my sourdough starter with you. I just used it yesterday for sourdough waffles. Mmmmm.

mimicooks said...

Wow, your bread is so light in color. I haven't baked with pure spelt yet but I'm surprised. It looks great!

Yes Andreas! Come over to the sourdough side!! I read a blog post the other day where someone made starter from the yeasty film on cabbage leaves. I think you should do that. Let me know if you want me to find that blog post for you...

Joanne said...

I really like cooking with spelt flour. I think it tastes great! This bread looks fantastic.

When you accomplish baking with sourdough...let me know. Because I'm still seriously afraid of it.

Cathy (breadexperience) said...

This bread looks really good! I love using spelt!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Easy to see where this will lead ... I like that!
I have spelt, I knead to make bread with it!

Very impressed with this loaf Andreas