4.17.2010

New Season Garlic Soup

New Season Garlic Soup

Finally you can tell it's spring from the produce available at the green market. I had bookmarked this recipe since quite a while and was waiting week after week until fresh garlic made it's appearance. The soup has a nicely subtle taste and if you can find fresh garlic it's worth giving it a try. As I had only fresh bread, I just used it for dipping up instead of adding it to the soup as indicated by the recipe.

New Season Garlic and Bread Soup

Source: Nose to Tail Eating by Fergus Henderson

To serve six

Ingredients:

8 fresh whole garlic heads
1 litre chicken stock
sea salt and pepper
a healthy handful of chunks, without crust, of yesterday's - if not the day before's - white bread

Method:

Place the garlic in the stock* and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer until the garlic is cookd soft - approximately 40 minutes. Then pass the garlic through a mouli; or press though a sieve. Mix the garlic pulp back into the stock and season to taste. Reheat and throw in the bread a couple of minutes before serving, so it has just long enough to sup up the soup, but not fall apart.

* I'm not sure if the recipe is overly brief here, but I decided to cut the garlic heads in half, peel off the outer two or three layers and then take out the cloves before proceeding with the recipe.

6 comments:

dinnersanddreams said...

Wow, a soup that calls only for two ingredients! I like that. This is a must try for me.

Nisrine

Jeanne said...

Yum! We have so much fresh garlic right now, and I just made some sourdough bread. This soup sounds perfect!

Joanne said...

The Farmer's Market and I have a date with destiny. And this soup.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

My strange thought is "So you waited for weeks for the garlic to appear but you couldn't wait a day for stale bread" ... I know I'm nutty.
But it might work to slice the bread and put it in a warm oven while you fix/cook the soup. Or maybe just toast it.
Since I love garlic, I would love to try this. Never seen fresh garlic here but perhaps if I'm on the look out it will appear.

Andreas said...

Tanna, I can understand your way of thought, but it's got to do with outside circumstances. I shop for fresh produce and bread on Saturday morning and had already other plans for Sunday.
To quote from my old biochemistry textbook:
"In love and war, as well as in the reproduction of the lambda phage, proper timing is essential." ;)

natalia said...

I just bought some fresh garlic !!