4.09.2010

Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad

Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad

IHCCAs I really liked the taste of sweet potatoes, I thought I'd use them to introduce me to another new ingredient, quinoa. Quinoa itself doesn't have much of a taste of its own, but it doesn't have the starchiness of lentils or peas either. Maybe rice comes closest in taste and texture. The salad has a nice soft-crunchy contrast and is quite filling. Instead of the chives in the recipe, I used the green part of a celery stalk. Next time I would try to cook the quinoa for a shorter time for a little more bite. (On the package it said to boil for 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and let stand with a closed lid for 5 minutes. Maybe that's a bit much in total.)


Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad

Source: Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad by Mark Bittman

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa or other small-kernel grain or 1 cup raw
1 large or 2 medium (about 1 pound) sweet potatoes
salt
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
1/4 cup minced red onion or shallot
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic, sherry, or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup minced fresh chives or parsley leaves

Method:

- If you haven’t already, cook the quinoa or other grain. Drain in a strainer and rinse. Meanwhile, peel the sweet potato and dice it into 1/2-inch or smaller pieces. Cook it in boiling salted water to cover until tender, about 15 minutes; drain well.

- Toss together the potato, quinoa, bell pepper, and onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Whisk the oil and vinegar together and toss the salad with about half of this mixture; add all or some of the rest to taste. Taste and adjust the seasoning, garnish with the chives and serve.

8 comments:

Kim said...

I noticed this recipe in Bittman's book the other day and I thought it sounded delicious! Love all the colors and the fact that it is both healthy and delicious.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Oooooh this looks so good. Quinoa and sweet potato are two of my favourite things - I don't know why I've never thought to put them together before, but I will be trying this very soon. I've also found that quinoa takes less time to cook than you think - I think the last packet I had said to cook for 13 minutes and I found even that to be a bit too long. Now I start testing after 10 minutes.
Sue

Debinhawaii said...

Looks delicious--a great combination of ingredients.

BTW--I usually cook my quinoa about 15 minutes and then let it sit for a few minutes after that so i think lessening the time will help. ;-)

Joanne said...

I love that you love sweet potatoes! This salad looks awesome. I am going to bookmark it for future Bittman IHCC's.

Jeanne said...

This looks really good! I usually cook quinoa in my rice cooker and it takes about 15 minutes for the perfect amount of bite.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

This is the salad I'd go for but then I can fall for sweet potato pretty easy.

mimicooks said...

Oh yum! I love sweet potatoes and that salad looks great!

Andreas said...

Thanks everyone for sharing advice about quinoa cooking.