4.22.2010

Washoku Warriors - Spring

Temple Garden Chowder

Spring is in the air and was also chosen as the theme for the Washoku Warriors. I went for the temple garden chowder, which is a dashi-based broth to which I added carrots (as a winter staple), leeks (as a winter vegetable), red radishes (as an early spring vegetable) and ramps (as a later spring vegetable). The carrots and leeks get fried in a bit of sesame oil before being added to the broth to soften them up. The final soup should be thickened with cornstarch, but I completely forgot to do that. ;)


3 comments:

Jeanne said...

I love the name of this chowder! And the spring vegetables sound delicious. I much prefer my soup without corn starch, so I'd have to make it the same way. :)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

But I love the clearness of your soup! I think cornstarch would have muddied the spring waters of it ;-)
Wonderful name too!

Joanne said...

I love how you used some of my favorite spring veggies in this. Must have been a delicious soup.