5.31.2010

Rhubarb Cake

Rhubarb Cake

After a short holiday it's time to get back to blogging the promised rhubarb cake from the last post. It's a very rustic cake and the added honey went well with the cinnamon. The dough will seem to be a little dry after the long baking time, but the juice given off by the rhubarb will counter this.


Rhubarb Cake with(out) pistacios

Source: Lust auf Genuss 6/2010

Ingredients:

350 g rhubarb
200 g cake flour
80 g soft butter
75 g whole weat flour
200 g sugar *
1 Tbsp baking powder
salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
100 g cream
100 ml milk
50 g pistacios **

* Used about 120 g honey.
** Omitted.

Method:

Wash and peel the rhubarb and cut into 2-cm slices. Toss with 2 Tbsp of the flour. Grease a cake tin with about 1 Tbsp of butter. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
In a bowl, mix together the remaining flour, whole-weat flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

Melt the butter and whisk in the egg, milk and cream. Stir into the flour mixture. Fold in rhubarb and pistacios.

Bake for about 85 minutes on the lowest rack. Maybe cover the cake towards the end of baking time. Remove the cake from the oven and let rest for a while before removing it from the pan onto a wire rack.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

I would omit the pistachios too! This cake sounds wonderful. I haven't seen rhubarb at the market yet, but hopefully I can find some soon!

Mary said...

This looks wonderful. I'll bet it would also be good with the pistachios. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Very interesting sounding cake. Rhubarb I really enjoy, probably because my aunt did and taught me to enjoy it. Actually cake sounds good right now. Did you save me a piece.

Joanne said...

There is so much more baking with rhubarb that I want to do! This is going on the list!