7.24.2010

Grilled Tomatoes and Scrambled Eggs, Chinese Style

Grilled Tomatoes and Scrambled Eggs, Chinese Style

IHCCI wanted to try something new with tomatoes, which are still in full season, and settled for a Chinese style recipe. As I don't have a grill, I just fried the tomato slices in a pan without removing the skins (which, with hindsight, was a mistake :) ). The final dish tasted good, but I'm not sure if I will make this again, as the sesame oil dominates the other flavours and doesn't let the full-ripe tomatoes stand out. Maybe this would change, if you actually grilled the tomatoes.


Grilled Tomatoes and Scrambled Eggs, Chinese Style


Source: How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman

Ingredients:

3 or 4 ripe tomatoes
2 Tbsp dark sesame oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp neutral oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
6 eggs
2 tsp soy sauce, or to taste
1/4 cup minced scallion (optional)

Method:

Heat a charcoal or gas grill until moderately hot and put the rack about 4 inches from the heat source. Core the tomatoes and cut each into 3 or 4 thick slices. Brush them with half of the sesame oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the tomatoes, turning once, until they are soft but not mushy, about 5 minutes; you should be able to lift them from the grill with a spatula
without their falling apart, but only barely. As they cook, use tongs to remove and discard the skins.

While the tomatoes are cooling, put the neutral oil in a large skillet, preferably nonstick or cast iron, over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook just until they sizzle, about a minute.

Beat together the tomatoes and the eggs. Add the tomato-egg mixture to the pan and cook, stirring almost constantly, until the mixture forms soft curds, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining sesame oil and the soy sauce. Garnish with the scallion if you like and serve.

5 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I found I have to take it easy with the sesame oil. It's strong for my taste.
Really like the idea here. I'm a huge fan of eggs for dinner.

Joanne said...

Maybe if you halved the sesame oil it would be less dominant? Or if you oven roasted the tomatoes so that their flavor really intensified? It certainly looks quite appealing!

Kim said...

I love the idea of the grilled tomatoes with scrambled eggs!! Too bad that the strength of the sesame oil took away from the taste of the ripe tomatoes. I've had some similar issues myself with sesame oil.

Debinhawaii said...

How did I miss this dish--it looks amazing! I find I sometimes cut the sesame oil in some dishes as it really can overpower--I am sure that would help a lot!

Debbie said...

It looks good, but, yes, sesame oil is really strong.