10.02.2010

Mushroom Pasta Risotto

Mushroom Pasta Risotto

IHCCThe final week of cooking with Mark Bittman has come around at IHCC and what a ride it has been. For the last recipe I chose a risotto-style preparation for pasta. It produced a flavourful dish, but was more work than the usual approach of cooking the pasta and sauce separately. Still this is not a problem if you like to spend your spare time with cooking.

Overall, I found the last six months of cooking with Mark Bittman very instructive. Even though I used "only" recipes from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian (which has more to do with the local availibility of cookbooks than anything else), there were lots of recipes, techniques and approaches, which were new to me and to which I will come back in the future. In short, this is the kind of book one should give to his children, when they leave home for college. As the six months drew to a close, I grew a bit worried that Bittman would leave foot steps too big to be filled by somebody else. If there had been a poll about who should be the next chef, I would have nominated Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. But anyway, I'm looking forward to cooking the recipes of Giada de Laurentii.
As a final look back, here is my copy of HTCEV with all the recipes I've made for IHCC, except for the home-made tofu I had planned on making for the cheesy week in September but didn't get around to do. (Note also the removed dust jacket. I only do this with books I use very frequently.)


Cooking pasta like risotto

Adapted from The Minimalist column; November 27, 2009.
(There is also a similar approach for making orzo risotto in HTCEV.)

The techniques of seperately frying the mushrooms first and of adding dried mushrooms to the stock are taken from the mushroom risotto recipe from Cook with Jamie by Jamie Oliver.

Ingredients:

250 ml vegetable stock
300 ml water
10 g dried organic shiitake mushrooms

200 g fresh mushrooms, cleaned and cut into slices
knob of butter

about 3 Tbsp olive oil
250 dried pasta
1 onion, diced
half a glass of white wine

salt

1/2 cup parmesan, grated
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, minced

Method:

In a small pot, add the water, stock and dried mushrooms. Let come to a simmer on low heat.

In a large skillet, melt the butter, add the mushrooms and fry on medium heat until the mushrooms become brown and soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Heat the oil in a medium pot, add the onion and sweat until translucent. Add the wine and let the alcohol cook off. Then add a laddle or two of stock at a time, stirring frequently until the liquid has been absorbed.

The pasta should take more or less the same time as for conventional cooking. When the pasta has reached the desired doneness, add the mushrooms from the stock pot and from the skillet, let briefly come back to temperature. Add salt to taste. Fold in parmesan and parsley.

7 comments:

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Mmm, mushrooms and pasta - you can't go wrong!
Remind me about Hugh in 5.5 months, when we set up a poll for gents again.
Cheers!

Kim said...

Looks like you really put your copy of HTCEV to great use! Plus, I love that you pointed out this fantastic recipe in your farewell post. I've tried Bittman's orzo risotto, but would love to try it with another pasta shape. This looks fabulous!

Debinhawaii said...

This looks delicious--mushroom, pasta, risotto-style, what's not to like?! I am happy you enjoyed Bittman and look forward to cooking Giada with you too. ;-)

Joanne said...

This was such a lovely post describing the great experience we've all had with Bittman! I've never heard of risotto cooked pasta but I love a good risotto so I know I would adore this!

Rachel said...

Thanks for joining us again at Cook the Books. I just wanted to let you know that I just added a link to your blog on our home page. Your Indian potato dish looked really savory.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

What a great idea - I never would have thought of cooking pasta in this way. That's one of the things I've loved about cooking Bittman, is that stepping outside of "the box".
Sue :-)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Hi Andreas, after IHCC finished cooking with Bittman, a few of us have taken up the mantel and are hosting a monthly Tackling Bittman blog hop. We open the Linky the first Thursday in every month and I would love it if you would join in with us sometime - linking up any previous Bittman post is perfectly fine also. Here is the link if you're interested

http://couscous-consciousness.blogspot.com/2010/12/tackling-bittman-recipe-hop-volume-2.html

Sue :-)