1.09.2011

Chile Bisque

Chile Bisque

TacklingBittmanFor the current edition of Tackling Bittman! I chose a recipe which has been on my to-do list since Kim from Stirring the Pot posted it for I *heart* Cooking Clubs about nine months ago. The chile bisque is ideal winter food as it will give you warmth from the soup, heat from the chiles and it's also quite filling due to the generous dose of cream. Any leftovers make for a great pasta sauce. Actually, I might make the next batch with the intention of using it on pasta in the first place.

The "Tackling Bittman!" blog hop is hosted by Sue from Couscous & Consciousness, Alex from A Moderate Life, Christy from Frugality and Crunchiness with Christy, Dr Laura from Who is Laura?, Chaya from My Sweet and Savoury and Pam from Sidewalk Shoes.

The January edition of Tackling Bittman! is guest-hosted by girlichef.


Chile Bisque

Adapted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman

Ingredients:

2 or 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, coarsly sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1/4 cup medium- or long-grain rice
salt and pepper
1 quart vegetable stock or water
2 bay leaves
1 cup cream

Method:

Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute. Add the chipotle chiles and the rice, stirring constantly until the rice is evenly coated with oil. Add the stock, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes until the rice is very tender. Remove from the heat. Carefully purée the soup with an immersion blender. Add the cream and reheat the soup until almost boiling. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and the consistency of the soup with stock or water if necessary.

8 comments:

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Oh yum, Andreas. I'm so glad you posted this, because I remember now being really intrigued by it when Kim made it, and then I duly forgot about it - so thanks for the reminder. I'm bookmarking it now so I won't forget again - I'm definitely going to make this one as soon as the weather starts to turn a little cooler :-)

Thanks for much for sharing it with Tackling Bittman.

PS: You might also be interested in a new blog event I've just started called "Make it with ... Mondays". You can read all about it here http://couscous-consciousness.blogspot.com/2011/01/make-it-with-mondays-1.html and of course if you're interested would love you to join in.

Sue :-)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You had me at chipotle!
Always a winner when you get two meals from one and neither reminds you of the other. That's a great two-fer!

Jeanne said...

This does sound just perfect as a pasta sauce! Interesting combo with rice, cream, and chiles.

girlichef said...

OH my gosh, I don't remember this one...I'm glad you revisited it, it sounds amazing. I can just taste the chipotles...so perfect for this finger-freezing weather going on at my place right now! I hope you'll link up and send this over to my special roundup edition of Tackling Bittman this month (where you also have a chance to win the new Food Matters Cookbook just for entering your Bitty post)... it's here: http://www.girlichef.com/2011/01/book-review-giveaway-food-matters.html if you're interested. :)

George said...

Sounds good, but I'm also a little scared of the chiles...

a moderate life said...

HI Andreas! I would like to personally welcome you to the Tackling Bittman Recipe hop! I must say I am glad to see a man doing the tackling for once! I am now following your blog. One of my absolutely favorite things in the world is chipotle en adobo and I have a few cans in my cupboard right now, given to me by my favorite chef at a family loved Mexican restaurant that closed down-boo hooo, but this recipe certainly will be tried. I do love Bittman so much and I hope to see you again on the hop, the first thursday of every month and please stop by A Moderate Life for a visit! All the best! Alex

Sweet and Savory said...

This sounds just right for the cold weather, we are having. I wonder if I could finish a whole bowl.

I am glad you linked this to Tackling Bittman.

Dr. Laura @ WhoIsLaura.com said...

This looks wonderful and perfect for colder weather!

Thanks for sharing with the Tackling Bittman Recipe Hop!

Dr. Laura