1.30.2011

Linzer Torte

Linzer Torte

Recently I've been to Switzerland for work-related reasons. Of course, I used the opportunity to scoop up some local food magazines. The first recipe I tried was this classic cake variation.

Linzer Torte

Adapted from saisonk├╝che 01/11

Ingredients:

125 g ground hazelnuts
125 g flour
75 g demearra sugar
dash of salt
50 g cold butter
1 egg
125 g strawberry jam
icing sugar for dusting

Method:

Mix together the hazelnuts, flour, sugar and salt. Add the thinly slice the butter and knead in until the dough resembles wet sand. Add the egg and knead briskly into a coherent dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.

Line a 7-inch spring form with parchment paper. Distribute 3/4 of the dough evenly on the bottom of the spring form. Carefully press the dough along the perimeter of the spring form to prevent the jam from leaking out. Evenly distribute the jam on the dough. Roll the rest of the dough into thin strands. Distribute the strands in a grid-like pattern on the jam. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes. Let the cake cool down on a wire rack. Remove the spring form and dust with icing sugar.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

This looks like a delicious souvenir from Switzerland! It's on my list of places to visit someday. :)

Lindsay said...

I have never made a linzer torte, but many people call me "linzer" so perhaps I should adopt this into my repertoire?

Elle said...

I make bar cookies that are very similar (but with raspberry jam) but I can see that a true torte is very pretty, too.