1.23.2011

Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki

The first selection for this year in the Cook the Books curriculum was Untangling my Chopsticks by Victoria Abbott Riccardi. I immensely enyoyed her accounts of Kyoto cuisine (which somehow reminded me of Looking for the Lost by Alan Booth) and had big plans about the dish I wanted to cook including some flowers in the background of the picture. But somehow life (or rather work) got in the way and I ended up with a much more simple approach by making Japanese pancakes or okonomiyaki. Without the flowers. ;)
However, the okonomiyaki turned out really well and I will certainly make those again to experiment with some other fillings (and toppings, which I ommitted this time).

Okonomiyaki

Adapted from Okonomiyaki by Marc of No Recipes

Ingredients:

For the batter:

1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
dash of salt

For the filling:

1/2 cup spring onion, finely sliced
1/2 cup Brussels sprouts, finely sliced
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
about 80 g feta cheese, finely crumbled

olive oil for frying

Method:

In a bowl, add all of the filling ingredients and stir. Add the flour, salt, water and eggs. Stir until combined. Heat some olive oil in a skillet on medium heat and pour in the batter. Spread the batter evenly in the pan and cook until the pancake can be lifted from the bottom of the pan.
Flip over and cook until both sides are nicely browned.

9 comments:

cantbelieveweate said...

I think I get it now...Okonomiyaki is kind of a veggie-egg-pancake-crepe sort of dish...
It looks soooo good! That might just work for supper tonight!

Simona said...

Your okonomiyaki look very nice and I don't miss the flowers. Good choice of recipe!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. Your okonomiyaki looks terrifically tasty.

Jeanne said...

Pancakes are much better than flowers! I'm intrigued by the brussels sprouts in these, what an interesting recipe.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Andreas - these okonomiyaki look wonderful. Don't know why I've never had a go at making them, but you've definitely inspired me to try. Love the brussels sprouts in there.
Sue :-)

Kelly said...

My son says that brussel sprouts are a "waste of a field". Ha ha! I don't agree with him but this might be a great way of disguising them. Looks great!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Such a unique and delicious-looking take on okonomiyaki--one of my favorite comfort food meals when in Japan. Great job putting these together. ;-)

Claudia said...

I think the Brussels sprouts would convert my husband. He wasn't all that thrilled with my Okonomiyaki. Though, he didn't actually get to try my last experiment.

Elle said...

Not a big fan of brussles sprouts, but this recipe and the more recent one using the lime streusel both sound delicious! Might have to revise my thoughts on those tiny cabbages.