3.06.2011

Tofu and Peas in Coconut Milk

Tofu and Peas in Coconut Milk

Tackling Bittman Recipe Hop at A Moderate LifeAs I had missed the last Tackling Bittman blog hop, I made this recipe some weeks ago in order to use up some frozen peas and to reduce my stash of coconut milk. The resulting dish is another tasty tofu preparation.

The current edition of Tackling Bittman! is hosted by Alex from A Moderate Life and Chaya from My Sweet and Savoury.

Tofu and Peas in Coconut Milk

Adapted from How To Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp neutral oil
salt and black pepper
2 Tbsp garam masala or curry powder
1 1/2 to 2 pounds firm to extra-firm tofu
1 1/2 cups peas
1 1/2 cups coconut milk

Method:

Take a paper kitchen towel and fold in half twice, so that you end up with four layers of tissue. Repeat once. Using two flat plates, make a stack of plate-folded tissue-tofu-folded tissue-plate. Place a weight of about 1 pound on top and let stand for 30 minutes to an hour.
Cut the tofu into medium dice (about 1/2 inch to a side).

Heat the oil in a skillet and toast the curry powder until fragrant. Add the tofu and cook for about a minute, stirring frequently. Add the coconut milk and the peas and cook until the peas are tender. Serve on rice.

2 comments:

George said...

My girlfriend loves coconut milk, so I might prepare this to make her happy. Thanks Andreas.

Lindsay said...

I have never cooked with tofu but I do enjoy it. And I just so happen to have some coconut milk that has been waiting to be used. This is on my to-do list!