4.17.2011

Asparagus and Potato Tart

Asparagus and Potato Tart

IHCCApril showers will tease out the first new asparagus and for the first new asparagus recipe for this season (there will be more to come) I went for an asparagus and potato tart.


Asparagus and Potato Tart

Adapted from Jamie at Home by Jamie Oliver

Ingredients:

500 g potatoes, peeled and coarsly diced
salt and black pepper
500 g green asparagus
200 g pizza dough *
150 g cheese, grated **
3 eggs
200 g cream
nutmeg

* The original recipe uses filo dough. I guess puff pastry would also work.

** Any cheese you would use on a pizza like Chester or Edamer.

Method:

Preheat the oven to 190°C. Boil the potatoes in salted water for about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside. Blanch the asparagus in salted water for about 4 minutes, drain, put into cold water, drain again and set aside. Whisk together the eggs and cream, season generously with pepper and nutmeg. Mash the potatoes and mix in the diced cheese. Stir the egg/cream mixture into the potato/cheese mixture.

Line an oven-proof dish with parchment paper and the pizza dough so that both will overlap the rim. *** Distribute the potato mixture evenly in the dish. Distribute the asparagus over the potato mixture and press in. Bake for about 20 minutes, let cool for 10 minutes and serve.

*** I used a 9x9-inch Springform and as you can see the tart got quite tall. For an actual tart pan I would reduce all the ingredients by half.

8 comments:

girlichef said...

Oh, those thin spears of asparagus look so good. I can't wait to see some shooting up through the earth here. Delicious choice!

Yvette said...

Really love fresh asparagus, going to buy myself some tomorrow. Great pick for this weeks theme

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks like spring itself--so fresh and delicious. I love asparagus. ;-) Great pick!

MM said...

I have this n my list to try for IHCC. Looks really good!

Elle said...

Love those first thin spring spears of asparagus...and this tart is the perfect showcase for them.

Kim said...

Oh yeah! This recipe is definitely on my list of things to try in our 6 months with Jamie. It looks outstanding. Perfectly done.

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Beautiful! I can't wait til asparagus is up in Canada - one of my favourite parts of spring. ☺

Mélodie said...

I have had this recipe bookmarked for a while. I'll do it as soon as the asparagus appear in my basket!