4.03.2011

Lentils with Wild Garlic

Lentils with Wild Garlic

IHCCAt I Heart Cooking Clubs six months of cooking with Jamie Olivers' recipes have just started. I've chosen a dish of lentils with wild garlic (or ramps) from the first issue of the German edition of Jamie magazine.
If you're going to find your own wild garlic somewhere in the woods, you may ponder to get naked first.
The original recipe uses some ingredients which I omitted like green asparagus (just barely not in season yet), cherry tomatoes (seriously not in season yet) and rapini, which I guess is in season but I couldn't find it at the green market.


Lentils with Wild Garlic

Adapted from Jamie Magazin Heft 1

Ingredients:

120 g lentils
1 handfull wild garlic
leaves of 1 bunch of thyme
300 ml vegetable stock
200 g carrots
olive oil
red wine vinegar
salt, black pepper


Method:

Wash and drain the lentils. Finely slice the wild garlic. Peel the carrots. Cut in half length-wise and cut into thin semi-circles. Bring the stock almost to the boil, add the thyme leaves and lentils. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 25 minutes.
Add the carrots and simmer for another 12 minutes until the lentils are almost tender. Remove from heat and stir in the wild garlic and a splash of olive oil. Add vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

5 comments:

girlichef said...

Oh, nice choice...this sounds delicious. I have yet to find any ramps around here (but I'm trying). Also, I want to find one of Jamie's magazines...may have to go mail order (if they ship here). Wonderful! =)

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Beautiful! I am trying not to picture you foraging for ramps sans clothing! ;-)
Great choice, I would love to take a look at one of Jamie's magazines one day too. I didn't even know he had them until he was voted in as chef.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love anything with lentils--this sounds amazing. A great pick to start six months with Jamie. ;-)

Jeanne said...

A wild garlic hunting expedition sounds like fun! :)

George said...

Is the magazine any good? I usually don't buy cooking magazines although I like to browse trhough them or even like the recipes you find in other magazines. (My girlsfriend sometimes reads the usual suspects regarding women-magazines...)

That dish sound nice. Pretty layed back, nothing fancy. That's by the way, what I really like about Jamie Oliver.