8.28.2011

Greek-style Qinoa Salad

Greek-style Qinoa Salad

IHCCIt's been a while since I made something with quinoa. So when I saw the recipe for this salad I put it on the must-make-soon list. Which turned out to be a good idea. The nutty flavour of the quinoa goes well with the salty feta and the crisp vegetables.
There will be lots of other soups, salads and sandwiches at IHCC this week.


Greek-style Qinoa Salad

Adapted from Jamie Magazine, Issue 21 August 2011

Ingredients:

1 cup quinoa
zest and juice of 1 lemon
olive oil
1 red onion, diced
2-3 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cucumber, quartered, desseded, finely chopped
100 g feta cheese
1/2 tsp dried oregano
red wine vinegar

Method:

Cook the quinoa in about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand with the lid on for another 5 minutes, then drain off any excess water and let cool. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and add some salt and pepper, the zest and juice of the lemon and some olive oil. Add the vegetables, feta and oregano and fold under. Round off with a bit of red wine vinegar to taste.


5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Everything is better with feta! I'd probably add olives, too - it would be even more Greek.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum! This looks like it has fabulous flavors and I love anything with quinoa. Great pick!

MM said...

Looks refreshing!

Kim said...

I've yet to find the right recipe for quinoa. I really think this might be the one. For some reason the quinoa has a strong taste to me and I think the feta and red onion would really distract me. I'd love to give this a try...I really want to like quinoa.

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

What a great idea! I definitely need to cook with quinoa more often. Looks delicious!