9.25.2011

Farro Salad with oven-baked Vegetables

Farro Salad with oven-baked Vegetables

IHCCSix months have gone by and this is the last week of cooking with Jamie Oliver at IHCC. For the final dish I wanted to try a new ingredient and went for a farro salad. It's very filling and the quantities given below could easily serve 6. Next time I would dice the vegetables before baking because to me this seems to be easier than mincing the tender vegetables.

I'm looking forward to cook with Tessa Kiros. I've been browsing through her book "Twelve" (which I've bought about two years ago, but never cooked from it) and I see handmade pasta in the midterm future. ;)

Farro Salad with oven-baked Vegetables

Adapted from Genial Italienisch/Jamie's Italy by Jamie Oliver

Ingredients:

200 g farro or bulgur
2 yellow or green zucchini, cut in half, seeds removed, cut into thick slices
1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cut into thick slices, green tips reserved
1 onion, peeled and quartered
1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, cut into coarse chunks
1 eggplant, cut into coarse chunks
2 garlic cloves, peeled
olive oil
salt and black pepper
white wine vinegar
1 bunch mixed fresh herbs (flat-leaf parsley, basil, mint, oregano)
juice of 1 lemon

Serves 4.

Method:

Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Soak the farro in cold water for 2o minutes and drain. Spread the vegetables and the garlic in an even layer on a baking tray lined with tin foil. Drizzle on some olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until tender and evenly browned. Turn the vegetables every 10 minutes or so using tongs. When the vegetables are removed from the oven, drizzle on the vinegar and set aside to cool. Transfer the vegetables (maybe in batches) to a chopping board, add the herbs and mince everything.

In a pot, cover the farro with cold water, bring to the boil, cook for about 20 minutes until tender and drain. In a large bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to the farro and mix with the minced vegetables. Garnish with the fennel greens.

5 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks delicious. I recently made a farro salad for a cookbook review and really enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing some of your pasta creations with Tessa. ;-)

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Lovely! I love farro salad - but I'm the only one in the house who eats it. I always have to remember to make a small batch! I love the earthy chewiness. Looks great!

MM said...

Great-looking dish. I've always wanted to try farro. Have a few recipes I've saved for when I can actually find it. Ha!

Jeanne said...

Oooooooo, handmade pasta - I can't wait! This farro dish is colorful and sounds very satisfying.

Meredith said...

This salad looks delicious,a perfect lunch idea for my family.