1.08.2012

Osso Bucco with Gremolata

Osso Bucco with Gremolata

IHCC Tessa Kiros ButtonIHCC is soaking up the rays of the Tuscan sun this week. I went for a classic dish of braised veal shanks which are livened up by a garnish of garlic, lemon and parsley.


Osso Bucco with Gremolata

Adapted from Die Toskana in meiner K├╝che / Twelve by Tessa Kiros

Ingredients:

2 carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
4 celery stalks, diced
olive oil
2 slices of veal shank, about 1 inch thick
(cut the surrounding membrane, so that the shanks will stay flat)
flour for dusting
250 ml red wine
500 ml water
salt and pepper

zest of 1 lemon
6 stems of parsley, minced (use flat-leaved, if possible)
1 garlic clove, minced

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat some olive oil in an oven-proof dish, add carrots, onion and celery and fry until the onions are translucent. Dust the veal shank with flour and them to the pot. Brown the shanks on both sides, add the wine and reduce by half. Add the water and some salt and pepper and put into the oven for about 2 1/2 hours. Toward the end of the cooking time, cook some pasta until al dente. Mix together the lemon zest, parsley and garlic. Serve the meat with the pasta and some gremolata on top.

6 comments:

MM said...

Yum! I'm fond of gremolata--great way to perk things up!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Looks delicious, Andreas. I love Osso Bucco - one of my all time favourites - I must give this version a try.
Sue :-)

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love osso bucco--your photo of this one is making me drool. ;-)

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Oh my, your osso bucco looks absolutely delicious. That is one of my favourite meals. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for veal shanks in the grocers.

Kim said...

Gorgeous! I love that Tessa's recipe relies on red wine for the braising. The flavor must be incredible.

Jeanne said...

Great shot - I love the colors and the light in the photo. Looks tasty!