4.07.2013

Savoy Cabagge and Parmesan Skin Soup

Savoy Cabagge and Parmesan Skin Soup

IHCC Ottolenghi Leek Badge resized
A tasty way to use up that old rind of parmesan lurcking in the freezer. ;)


Savoy Cabagge and Parmesan Skin Soup 

Adapted from Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi

Ingredients:

4 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Savoy cabagge, core and outer leaves removed, coarsely sliced
1 potato, diced
1 l vegetable stock or water
one handful parmesan skin
1 mild red chile, deseeded and sliced
salt
grated parmesan for garnish

Method:

In a soup pot, heat the oil and fry the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and fry until fragrant. Add the cabagge and potato and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add the stock to cover and the parmesan skin. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the potato is tender. Remove and discard the parmesan skin. Add salt to taste. Carefully purée the soup with an immersion blender, adding more liquid if necessary. Adjust the seasoning and serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan.

7 comments:

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Sounds delicious, Andreas. I have a bag full of parmesan skins lurking in my freezer - I must pull some of them out and give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

Michelle said...

I've added Parm rind to spaghetti sauce, but not soup. Don't know why--it makes sense! Nice looking soup, Andreas.

Jeanne said...

Sounds delicious! I better start saving my parmesan skins.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I have a Parmesan skin ready as we speak. I love this simple and delicious-looking soup. Great pick!
;-)

Kim said...

I must confess that this recipe definitely grabbed my attention while paging through Plenty. I love the flavor of cabbage and think this sounds simple and delicious. Will definitely have to try this one!

kitchen flavours said...

A lovely bowl of soup, I have never tried using cabbage for soups! Sounds interesting and delicious!

Susan Lindquist said...

Hello Andreas! A beautiful and hearty soup made with basic ingredients and a frugal spirit! Delicious!

I read in your profile that you live near the Odenwald region? I lived in Hohensachsen, very near Weinheim for a couple years and love the area! My husband and I still return to visit friends when we can save enough for the airfare!

What a beautiful country, Germany is!