2.23.2014

Barley Risotto

Barley Risotto


IHCC Donna Hay Badge resizedIt's potluck time again at IHCC and I went for a classic barley risotto.


Barley Risotto

Adapted from Frisch und Leicht by Donna Hay

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp olive oil
200 g fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup pearl barley
1.5 l vegetable stock or water
2 tsp dried thyme
salt

Method:

In a soup pot, heat the olive oil and fry the mushrooms until well browned. Add the leeks and fry until wilted. Add the garlic and barley and fry for one or two minutes. Add the stock and thyme and simmer until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes. Add salt to taste.

7 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Such an interesting dish, using barley for a Risotto dish! Great choice!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Another recipe I need to mark down to try. I love barley risottos and this one looks both easy and good. ;-)

Zosia said...

That looks so hearty and warming - perfect for a cold winter day!

Kim said...

This risotto looks so very savory and comforting. Gorgeous!

TeaLady said...

Don't see how you could ever go wrong with this one. Using barley is always a good idea.

TeaLady said...

Using barley for risotto is interesting. Since I usually have barley in the pantry I will have to try this.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

I keep meaning to try making a barley risotto. This looks great, and with mushroom season right around the corner, I think I'll be trying this one soon.