4.06.2014

Chickpea-Tomato Stew

Chickpea-Tomato Stew


IHCCg
For the Welcome toast at IHCC of Nigel Slater as our new current chef I went for a classic stew.

Chickpea-Tomato Stew

Adapted from the kitchen diaries II by Nigel Slater

Ingredients:

1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
1 Tbsp goose fat (or olive oil)
2 Tbsp smoked bacon, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup orzo (or other small pasta)
1 bunch wild garlic, chopped

Method:

In a soup pot, melt the goose fat and fry the bacon until nicely golden. Add the garlic and fry until fragrant.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and 400 ml water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Add the pasta, a generous dash of salt and maybe some water if the stew seems too thick and simmer for another 10 minutes until the pasta is tender. Stir in the wild garlic and serve.

8 comments:

Michelle Meche said...

Hi, Andreas.
At my house, we love chickpeas. The goose fat and bacon used in this recipe must add a wonderful, satisfying layer of flavor.

Susan Lindquist said...

What a stew this is! And what a nice way to start out with Nigel ... glad to see that you're not afraid of the fat content, as it really does make for a silky flavour!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mmm... Like Michelle, I too am a big chickpea fan. I love how bright and colorful this stew is. What a great way to welcome Nigel. ;-)

Kim said...

Oh yes, I know this recipe is a must make! So few ingredients, but all very flavorful. Stunning!

ostwestwind said...

Oh, Kichererbsen ;-) Sounds gread

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Andreas,
This was one of the recipes that I have bookmarked from his book.
Looks delicious!
Though I would probably use olive oil as I have never seen goose fat before!

Zosia said...

We enjoy chickpea-pasta stews and with the bacon, this one would be a real treat.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Oh, yes, this one gets an instant bookmark from me - this is everything I love in a dish.