6.22.2014

Spicy Asparagus

Spicy Asparagus

IHCC
It's potluck time for the merry month of June at IHCC and with the end of asparagus season right ahead of us I chose a spicy stir-fry variation.



Spicy Asparagus

Adapted from World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey

Ingredients:

1 pound green asparagus, trimmed, lightly peeled and cut into 1/2-inch segments
2 Tbsp neutral oil
piece of ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
dash of chile powder or paprika
1/4 cup vegetable stock or water
dash of salt and sugar
1/2 tsp roasted sesame oil

Method:

In a skillet, heat the oil and fry the ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add the chile and asparagus and stir-fry until the asparagus is well coated with the oil. Add the stock and salt and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer with a lid on until the asparagus is tender, maybe 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the sesame oil and serve on rice.

5 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum! I have some asparagus in the crisper drawer right now and this looks like a fabulous dish to use it in. ;-)

Susan Lindquist said...

Mmmm! Tasty! But I was surprised that you used green asparagus! When I lived in Germany, it seemed that most people would only buy the beautiful white asparagus! being an American, I only knew of green asparagus ... the ladies at the roadside stands thought I was crazy to ask for green stalks when the white was so plentiful!

ostwestwind said...

A last time asparagus! Unfortunately the season ends tomorrow, that looks delicious

Zosia said...

Another delicious asparagus recipe for me to try!

TeaLady said...

Asparagus has become my favorite veggie. And since I love Jaffrey's dishes this is a must make now.